Tuesday, September 28, 2010

# 2 Fail: Species Identification

I went to the local farmers produce market.. I wanted to buy a butternut squash to stuff ravioli with. There was a big box of assorted squash, each only $1.75! I recognized acorn, spaghetti and butternut. The butternut were all significantly smaller yet they cost the same, so I found this random one that I thought was butternut. The color was similar.

So I take my squash home and do some googling, what in the heck did I buy?!

Cut the ends off.

This end had a weird fat stem that looked like turban squash on top.

how cute a pumpkin!

a flat end ables the gourd like squash to stand upright.

much easier to peel as well

pretty

flip and continue to peel

this moment changed everything. cut in half lengthwise

why are there seeds throughout the entire squash?

butternut squash only accumulates seeds in the bottom of it's oblong body!

I notice the flesh is not very starchy but I cut, cube, and cook it anyways.

In a pan I added 1/4 cup water to the unidentified squash steam and prevent sticking, and cover it with aluminum foil, sealing the edges.
Cook for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven.

wonton wrappers are fast and easy alternative to making pasta

mashes easily

but it isn't starchy like acorn and butternut. it didn't even have a distinctive taste or flavor, just plain mush

i even put it back into the oven uncovered to see if that would draw out some moisture. nope

a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon, where did i come up with that?

i ruined it completed with the spices. smelt amazing but it was bittertasting.

i spoon this brown concoction onto a wrapper.

this is one style of pasta, brush egg white around the edges and seal with another wonton wrapper.

this one is simplier, one sheet folded in half, still brushing egg white

pretty?

boiled it, tasted terrible. Epic Fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment